Author Topic: Brij bids 6NT with 17pts?  (Read 3653 times)

222fbj

• View Profile
Brij bids 6NT with 17pts?
« on: November 28, 2014, 03:23:52 PM »
I am a social bridge player, using only basic conventions (Stayman, major transfers, weak two's, etc) who enjoys using your bridge program.  Frequently I fail to understand the Brij bids and play - which may be due to my lack of bridge expertise.  Below is an example of a game I found confusing:

North had  17 points and partner a passed hand.....So how can North go to 6 NT??
Bidding: East pass, South pass, West 3 clubs, North double
              East pass, South 3 spades (your recommendation, a forced bid), West pass, North 6 NT, all pass

Needless to say N/S went down.  Not a good sacrifice over 3 clubs.
What is going on here?

thanks

BriJ

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • BriJ main website
Re: Brij bids 6NT with 17pts?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »
 Hi,

Just to confirm, this was fixed several releases ago.

[Previous comment: It's usually difficult to comment on this type of issue without full details of the deal, what conventions are played, whether Pro or Lite, ... So it's best to email bjsoftware42@gmail.com first to exchange information.

However, in this case I think I've managed to reproduce the problem case on LITE, but not so far on BriJPRO. It looks like recent changes to distinguish between penalty and takeout doubles may have caused this problem. Sorry about that. You can look at BriJ's inferences for partner at the time you are about to bid 3 spades to verify this. It should say "Takeout double..." but if it says "looking for fit..." that would confirm the bug.  :'(

Thank you for taking the time to report this issue and it will be fixed in the next release.
 :-[
]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 07:07:29 AM by BriJ »

222fbj

• View Profile
Re: Brij bids 6NT with 17pts?
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 05:12:26 PM »
Thanks.  btw I am using the Pro version.
Next time I will save/send the pbn file.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:51:11 PM by 222fbj »